RTEMS Trace Tool

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Feb 10 15:32:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 4:11 AM, Arwa Khannoussi <khannoussi.arwa at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started using the RTEMS trace tool, after having a look at
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/TraceTool and
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/rtems-tracing/
> It's mentioned to contact Chris Johns for more informations, so here I am.

Chris is spotty right now so it might be a bit before he replies.
He mentored this GSoC project and it was one step in a multi-step process to
get everything we want for tracing and timeline visualization.

> My questions are:
>
> - Is this tool still functional, because there is no updates since 2009?

The code should be as functional as it ever was except for what I will
describe below.

> - I'm using RTEMS 4.11 not 4.10 does that make any problem?

At some level yes, but the code you are looking at is a snapshot of a work
in progress. I would NOT use an older RTEMS just to be in sync with it. The
trace code should be updated to track RTEMS. The trace code is the code at
a more immature stage of development.

> - In the sources given at https://code.google.com/archive/p/rtems-tracing/ the
> file wrapper.h used in rtems_trace_generator.py is missing so I tried to
> fixe the bugs caused by the absence of this file but the problem is that
> there is not the sources of the two principals functions
> "rtems_capture_trace_record" and "rtems_capture_trace_log".
> My question is where could I find those two functions?

The capture engine had a significant rework between 4.10 and 4.11 to be SMP
safe. Methods were renamed. The code is in cpukit/libmisc/capture. I don't
know if there is user level documentation on the APIs or not off the top of
my head. Check the code/.h files in that directory.

The trace wrapper generator should now be in the rtems-tools git repository
on git.rtems.org.

http://flightsoftware.jhuapl.edu/files/2014/Presentations/Day-2/Session-3/2-RTEMSProjectEcosystem.pdf
starting around slide 14 is some info on it. There is a long term plan but
everything has been done by volunteers. The ultimate goal is to
automatically generate trace wrappers (now part of rtems-tools), capture
the events (capture engine), have a static or dynamic connection to a host,
provide the log in Common Trace Format, and visualize the timeline (Linux
Trace Toolkit).

So parts of the chain exist and just need polishing and tying together.
Certainly this is an area ripe for a GSoC project. :)

--joel