USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1 not effective

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Jun 16 01:32:45 UTC 2016

On 15/06/2016 23:53, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> I have used the -kernel option I believe, before this change.

This is interesting. I was under the impression the PC BSP needs a valid
BIOS and so a boot loader to work. I can see BIOS references in the BSP
code and places where calls are made including the PCI BIOS code which
is used to read the PCI configuration space.

> I'm not strictly worried about backward compat for the boot options, and
> it should be an easy fix for anyone, but should be clearly documented in
> release notes for the BSP if we don't accommodate it.

I never knew this had been documented as a valid way to run the PC BSP.
I can understand a bare i386 BSP running this way but using the PC this
way concerns me. I will chat to Ben tomorrow when he is awake and see if
I can get a better understanding of running the BSP this way.

Chris