RTEMS ARMv8 Port

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Mar 16 12:34:43 UTC 2016

On Mar 16, 2016 7:26 AM, <soja-lists at aries.uberspace.de> wrote:

> Am 2016-03-16 10:32, schrieb Raghav Nayak:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to configure RTEMS for ARMv8 target. Tried running the
>> following command:
>>
>> ../configure --target=aarch64-rtems4.12 --enable-rtemsbsp=raspberrypi
>> --enable-tests=samples --enable-networking --enable-posix
>> --prefix=/mnt/FSL/pandora/rtems/rtems-armv8-bsp/4.12
>>

> I am no expert in this, but I highly doubt that this is supposed to work.
> So far you only have a cross-compiler for RTEMS for the aarch64 target.
> However, as ARMv8 is a new architecture for RTEMS I would expect that you
need to first add support for this new architecture to the RTEMS-kernel and
probably the configure scripts as well. I have never done this, so I can't
help here. The RTEMS porting guide might be a first step in understanding
what you have to do:
https://docs.rtems.org/doc-current/share/rtems/pdf/porting.pdf

> Another thing is that you want to build the raspberrypi-bsp. I assume you
want to build RTEMS for the raspberry pi 3. The new raspberry uses another
cpu as the older versions and of a different target architecture. That
means from the operating system's point of view it differs significantly
from the older ones, thus you cannot expect that the bsp for the RPi 1 and
RPi 2 will work for the RPi 3.
> No one has added support for the RPi 3 yet. It's very new on the market
and RTEMS has currently no ARMv8 support.

That's the basics. A new architecture requires adding score/cpu/aarch64 and
a new BSP for that architecture c/src/lib/libbsp/aarch64/NEWBSP. I added
the GNU tools support.

I did notice that gdb has a simulator for aarch64 which means a BSP for
that is simple to construct. The gdb simulator is similar on all
architectures and we have BSPs for a variety to use as examples. This would
be enough to debug core functionality on the aarch64 and run the tests
without interrupt support.

Then you have to add interrupt support and move to real HW and add a second
BSP.