Reducing the size of an RTEMS application

groups at chichak.ca groups at chichak.ca
Wed Nov 2 06:29:20 UTC 2016

Thank you Sebastian, I thought I was going mad.

Strip removes the symbol table and debugging information from the object file, it doesn’t change what the executable does.

Amalaye, are you looking at the file size of the .exe file? That file contains all sorts of information that is used by the debugger. Strip just removes the debugging information. The debugging information is not written into your board when you download it. So the file size is not the code size of your program.

You would have to use the size command to see how big the code is. Then, as Chris Johns mentioned, use the nm command to see which portion of your code is taking up the space. Neither of these will tell you how much RAM your program is using, you will have to figure that out some other way.

Andrei from The Great White North