Building RTEMS 4.11.0 RC4 for i386 targets

Cláudio Silva claudiodcsilva at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:39:33 UTC 2016

Hello,

Regarding draconian firewalls, I have spent more time than I would like to
admit working around git:// protocol issues. Last time I checked the git
protocol didn't follow very well git proxy rules nor the system's rules.
This issue is especially painful when you have git repos with submodules
where the submodules are connected through git:// instead of http(s),
because you have to discover and manually change every URL to http.
I have worked around this issue by creating a SOCKS proxy and forcing git
proxy every connection through it. This is only possible because I am
allowed to connect to external SSH server.
In summary, you have to create a connection with a remote server
(non-firewalled) through ssh, creating a SOCKS proxy:

ssh -D 9052 user at external_server

Then you need this small script that essentially uses socat to force git to
connect to that SOCKS server:
https://gist.github.com/cdcs/bc00ba3121c09013f2c057b549e6930d

Then you need to mark the script as executable and tell git to use it.

chmod +x gitproxy
git config --global core.gitproxy gitproxy

This workaround is able to use other types of proxies besides SOCKS. So if
you have a less restricted proxy available, just change the SOCAT options
to use it.
It's better to unset the option after you are through with git protocol
clones as every git connection in unnecessarily being proxied through it
(git config --unset core.gitproxy).

Anyway the long term solution is to migrate every PATH to HTTPS.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Cláudio