network support: libbsdport or rtems-libbsd for e1000 network chips on i386?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Nov 6 22:28:47 UTC 2016

On 04/11/2016 08:03, Ricardo Derbes wrote:

> Following your advice, I made a checkout of rtems-libbsd and built it
> (using rtems 4.11 rc4, by the way)
> As I think none of the source files in rtems-network-demos is intended
> to be used with libbsd,

The network demos needs some work to support both stacks. This will have
to happen after 4.11.0 and it may be included in a 4.11.1 dot release.

> I resorted to build ChrisJ dbserver
> (https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/dbserver/), as is, and
> I succeeded.

Great.

> My problem is that I cannot run it under qemu, it hangs (or at least
> does nothing) after issuing rtems-bsd-initialize()
> I started qemu with: qemu-system-i386 -kernel examples/net-app.exe
> -vga cirrus -append "--console=/dev/com1" -net nic,vlan=1,model=e1000
> -net user,vlan=1 -append "--console=/dev/com1"  -serial stdio

I have not tried a recent i386 build with qemu, I have been using real
hardware.

> Running ticker.exe the same way works ok.
> Is it even possible tu run dbserver under qemu?

On the i386, I am not sure. On the ARM you cannot do this. The qemu
support for the debug hardware seems limited.

> Or, where can I find a network demo which uses rtems-libbsd, as a start point?

We are lacking these and I have not had time to create some.

Chris