Information about rtems

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Sep 21 08:03:57 UTC 2016

Hello Michael,

On 21/09/16 09:44, Michael Schollinski wrote:

> Hi,
> At the moment i do a research for my company, in terms of rtos for an
> embedded system. the hardware is not yet specified. I have to find out
> which features rtos include, to compare them.
>
>  1. Which network protocols are supportet? (by default)

RTEMS supports at least three different network stacks, the lwIP and two
FreeBSD based network stacks. In the RTEMS sources an old FreeBSD
network stack is included which is state of the art 1990s. In a separate
component, the libbsd, there is a port of the FreeBSD 9.3 network stack
(it can be updated to the latest FreeBSD on demand). The feature set of
the libbsd network stack is quite huge thanks to FreeBSD.

>  1. Are there any network security mechanisms ?

The network stack of the libbsd supports the pf firewall for example.

>  1. Are there any certificats (like iso 26262 - ASIL level)?

Do you know at least one open source project that offers such a
certificate out of the box? There exists some RTEMS forks that are space
qualified for example. There are some activities to make it easier to
qualify the community version of RTEMS according to a certain standard.

 From a technical point of view please keep in mind that RTEMS is a
single-process multiple-threads operating system without a user/kernel
space separation.

>  1. Which I/O-devices are supported ?

This depends on the board. A well supported BSP provides drivers for
UART, I2C, SPI, SD/MMC card, USB and Ethernet.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09