rtems from TMS570 SDRAM or INTRAM

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Sat Apr 29 09:11:56 UTC 2017

Hello Nikolay,

On Friday 28 of April 2017 17:16:44 Nikolay Komashinskiy wrote:
> > Do you want to use BeagleBone as the SPI and I2C slave/peripheral?
> > Using full features system as the peripheral has significant
> > andvantage for debuggin and hardware in the loop testing.
> > But problem is that SPI slave functionality is not present
> > in the current mainline Linux SPI drivers at all
>
> Oh, yes, I forgot about it, then I can use an stm32 board with HAL layer.
> It has the spi slave capabilities.

Yes, that would be simpler and I expect that example with device/slave
I2C function would be available for STM32 as well.

> > For SPI, the simple test is to interconnect MISO and MOSI and check
> > if you read back some patter which you send to the device.
> > Then connect MISO to VCC (+3.3V probably on Begle Bone) and check
> > that you read all 0xFF then to GND and check for 0x00.
> > Then you need oscilloscope or some real device to check
> > chip selects and correct phase, polarity mode for clock
> > versus data changes alignment.
>
> Yes, I am going to do it in this way, also I has a simple logic analyzer.

OK

> > I have TMS570LC4357 HDK there and it is the next most
> > interresting target for me, but it is more complex.
> > If you have intention to work on it, I add terminal pins
> > file for this variant into RTEMS mainline. TMS570LC4357
> I am going to work with TMS570LC4357 with LAUNCHXL2-
> 570LC43 board with its onboard dubugger (XDS110). I think
> I can use it in a couple with openocd debugger. And I already
> have this board.
>
> The current stage of investigation of the board - I've just installed
> Halcogen under Wine and generated some code.
> I hope, I can compile it and debug it soon.
>
> I want to work with this board, because, for example, one of my
> colleagues wants to start to program it with a bare-metal Ada(!).
> So, I can see some interest to this board in my lab.
>
> I feel a need to show results of my work somewhere, could you
> recommend such a place? I don't like blogs, because they don't
> allow to easily represent the current stage and just show the process.
> Maybe, it is better to use some wiki + comments under the project's ticket?

I suggest to use GitHub. Create some repository for experiments.
Something like

  https://github.com/AoLaD/rtems-tms570-utils

Or if you want to use some of these utils, you can fork the project.

When you start RTEMS work, the standard model is to fork RTEMS mainline
mirror from GitHub and continue work from this point. Use rebase
and merge then to keep track with mainline.

I expect that LAUNCHXL2-570LC43 is great target for applications.
But TMS570LC4357 HDK would be easier for development.
It is easier and faster when you can load code tor RAM.
The debuging in Flash allow only relatively limited number
of hardware breakpoints. The standard breakpoint instruction
placement is possible in RAM. So SDRAM on HDK allows to
load and debug complex application including networking etc.
On the other hand, the critical development of chip initialization
and simple tests with UART and other drivers (except Ethernet)
fits into internal RAM memory on TMS570LC4357, so Launchpad
should be no limitation for your planned work.

Questions to others: should I push my pin definition files
for TMS570LC4357 into mainline?

Best wishes,

Pavel