Trouble Getting Started

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Aug 22 02:01:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Jacob Saina <jsaina at terpmail.umd.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to RTEMS and am confused about some things. I'm able to build and
> simulate examples for the erc32, but not any arm boards I've tried
> (beagleboneblack, raspberrypi2, xilinx_zynq_zc706). Any help is appreciated.

Hi Jacob,

Welcome.

> 1) Is it correct to build rsb and rtems using the master branches of their
> git repositories? I had been using the 4.11 tags for both of these. Today I
> tried master and I can't even build rsb.

The master branches are the development versions and are not
necessarily working properly at any given point in time, although we
try to avoid breaking it. The releases should work. You should not mix
different tools across versions, e.g., the 4.12 toolchain won't work
right for 4.11, or vice versa. In general, you should match the RSB
and rtems you use, and I suggest you be careful about how you set your
paths to avoid installing 4.11 and 4.12 tools in the same prefix.
Technically, it may work, but I wouldn't trust it to.

> 2) What are the current stable versions of the rtems kernel and rsb? More
> importantly, where is this information located?

The latest release is the 4.11 series. See:
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release/4.11 and I see some bit-rot in
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release where dot-release version numbers
need bumping...

> 3) The *.exe files that get built (e.g. both_hello.exe from the examples-v2
> repo)  -- these are full images containing the kernel and application,
> correct? Is there a good resource with an example for preparing the image to
> run on (any arm) hardware?

Yes, RTEMS is designed to build together with the application logic as
a single loadable binary image.

Maybe this helps for Zynq?
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Boards/Zynq%20-%20Zedboard

There are some guides written in the past for raspberrypi and
beaglebone. some pointers for beagle can be found through
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/BSP/Beagleboard including Ben's blog
about it, and Alan's (http://alanstechnotes.blogspot.pt/) and Andre's
(https://asuolgsoc2014.wordpress.com/) blogs have some nice info about
RaspberryPi.

> 4) What does <arch>-rtems<version>-run use to simulate the application?

Usually this is tied to a GDB processor simulator if one exists.

> 5) The test suite applications seemed to successfully build for the arm
> architectures I tried, but when attempting to run them, there is no output.
> Depending on the application and bsp, arm-rtems4.11-run will exit with an
> code of 48, or 0. sparc-rtems4.11-run produced the expected output with its
> test suite applications. What does this lack of output mean?

I don't think arm-rtemsxxx-run works. You may like to check out the
RTEMS Tester tool: https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Testing/Tester that
contains scripts to run the test suite on a variety of simulators and
some hardware configurations.

Gedare