zynq

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Feb 22 23:50:18 UTC 2017

On 23/02/2017 04:43, D Peter Siddons wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> The one I'm using for rtems tests is this
> (http://microzed.org/product/microzed). I have the 72020 version. We
> also use the Picozed (http://picozed.org/product/picozed) which is a
> similar product, but brings out more of the IO (including some
> high-speed serial ports), while dropping the on-board peripheral
> connectors (ethernet, USB, SD card). It can also host a bigger FPGA
> (72030). We have built a couple of motherboards to host the picozed and
> provide these interfaces. The CPU is the same on all of them, dual-core
> Arm Cortex A9's, and they all have 1GB DDR4 memory and of course the
> FPGA fabric. They all have a JTAG connector, but you can also program
> the fabric through U-boot.

I load the fabric from RTEMS. For production (custom hardware) I use a
JFFS file system in QSPI flash with a non-brickable first block. I use
u-boot network loads with the microzed.

We use an FDT blob to define all hardware interfaces in the PL (fabric)
so software requests an address from the FDT, eg /regs/fft/bins, when
initialising and uses that address to access the register. The FDT blob
is generated from a FDT source file that is generated from XML and that
XML also creates the top level VHDL file that is the address map for the
PL. We bundle the bitfile and the FDT blob as a single file. This
approach has been very successful over the past few years in detecting
changes in registers. We also have commands to list the FDT and read and
write memory based on paths so the hardware team write `joel` scripts to
test the hardware.

> The microzed is really convenient, because all you need besides the
> board is a micro-USB cable, which provides power and a serial console.
> so your full development system easily fits in your briefcase :)

I added a 5V connect to mine because I saw flaky behavior with the USB
power. I suspect a supply issue from my USB hub. The 5V power has made
the board much more stable.

> I think they are a control system designers dream :)

They are fantastic.

There is a page in the wiki which details the set up needed to build
apps for u-boot. Once the wiki is back up I will send the link.

Chris