application tutorial

Alan Cudmore alan.cudmore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:21:53 UTC 2017

I understand your confusion. Currently there is a mixture of autoconfig, waf , and the examples use a custom makefile configuration.

When I setup my RTEMS development environment, I use:
$HOME/rtems — base directory
$HOME/rtems/rtems-src — I checkout the RTEMS source here
$HOME/rtems/bsps  - I install BSP libraries here
$HOME/rtems/tools - I install the RSB toolchains here
$HOME/rtems/apps — I put my apps such as the RKI project here

So, when I build a toolchain with RSB, ( 4.11, Sparc for example )
It goes in:
$HOME/rtems/tools/4.11/
Note that multiple toolchains for 4.11 can be installed here ( sparc, arm, x86, etc )
Similarly, I can use
$HOME/rtems/tools/4.12/
for RTEMS 4.12 tools as well.

I believe the newlib libraries and headers are installed along with the tools.

The setup can be powerful because all of the cross compiler tools for different versions and architectures can co-exist.

I also build the RTEMS source separately, and I use the ./bootstrap, configure, make, and make install steps
During the configure step, I specify:
$HOME/rtems/bsps/4.11 as the install prefix, so I know where the compiled RTEMS libraries and headers will reside. Once installed, the build directory is no longer needed.
This also works for multiple architectures and versions of RTEMS.

Once the tools and RTEMS libraries and headers are compiled and installed, you have a SDK ready to develop applications.
With the correct application makefiles, you do not need to worry as much about the exact locations of the libraries and headers.

If you look at the RKI standard makefile:
https://github.com/alanc98/rki/blob/master/Makefile <https://github.com/alanc98/rki/blob/master/Makefile>
You can see that there are environment variables that point to the location of the tools and RTEMS libraries/bsps.
As you can see in this makefile, the individual RTEMS libraries are not called out. I believe the -specs bsp_specs and -qrtems options take care of that.

( also note that the paths in that makefile do not separate tools and bsps.. I have not updated that in a while. In that example, tools and bsps were installed in $HOME/rtems/4.11, which will work, but I prefer to separate them )

So that is an example of a custom made makefile for an application. The rtems-waf tool is another way to build an application.
Look at the README.waf for an example of how to use the waf tool.

https://github.com/alanc98/rki/blob/master/README.waf <https://github.com/alanc98/rki/blob/master/README.waf>

The RTEMS project has a goal of replacing the auto configure scripts for the RTEMS kernel source with a waf build system.

The simple examples can also be built using a waf script. I have an example on my disk, I should post it to my GitHub account soon for reference.

Alan