Strictly atomic operations

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 24 18:26:21 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Matt Rippa <mrippa at gemini.edu> wrote:

> Hi Joel and Sebastian,
>
> Thanks for the replies. I'm working on porting our primary mirror control
> system to RTEMS. It's difficult to tell why taskLock() was chosen over a
> Mutex. Perhaps it was brute force. It's just two lines of code they were
> trying to protect (pointer assignments), and there are no higher priority
> tasks which could possibly interfere.  I'll stick with your recommendations.

The taskLock in that case would make the update of the two pointers
atomic (duh) but there would be no concern over the users of those
pointers.

With a mutex, I think you would have to have locking code when the
pointers are dereferenced to ensure they are in a consistent state.

I have no idea how much code this impacts but it impacts code which
is operating with no idea that it needs to honor an atomic update of
that data.

I would be prone to take a few minutes to figure out what the overall
intent is and how frequently those pointers are dereferenced. The update
of the pointers must be coordinated.

Since you are on a single CPU system, you could get by with NO_PREEMPT
temporarily. But it would be much better to understand the interaction and
find an SMP safe solution.

--joel