application tutorial

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 3 16:08:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:21 AM, Alan Cudmore <alan.cudmore at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand your confusion. Currently there is a mixture of autoconfig,
> waf , and the examples use a custom makefile configuration.
>
> When I setup my RTEMS development environment, I use:
> $HOME/rtems — base directory
> $HOME/rtems/rtems-src — I checkout the RTEMS source here
> $HOME/rtems/bsps  - I install BSP libraries here
> $HOME/rtems/tools - I install the RSB toolchains here
> $HOME/rtems/apps — I put my apps such as the RKI project here
>
> So, when I build a toolchain with RSB, ( 4.11, Sparc for example )
> It goes in:
> $HOME/rtems/tools/4.11/
> Note that multiple toolchains for 4.11 can be installed here ( sparc, arm,
> x86, etc )
> Similarly, I can use
> $HOME/rtems/tools/4.12/
> for RTEMS 4.12 tools as well.
>
> I believe the newlib libraries and headers are installed along with the
> tools.
>
> Yes.

> The setup can be powerful because all of the cross compiler tools for
> different versions and architectures can co-exist.
>
> I also build the RTEMS source separately, and I use the ./bootstrap,
> configure, make, and make install steps
> During the configure step, I specify:
> $HOME/rtems/bsps/4.11 as the install prefix, so I know where the compiled
> RTEMS libraries and headers will reside. Once installed, the build
> directory is no longer needed.

And should NOT be referenced by the application build system.

> This also works for multiple architectures and versions of RTEMS.
>
> Once the tools and RTEMS libraries and headers are compiled and installed,
> you have a SDK ready to develop applications.
> With the correct application makefiles, you do not need to worry as much
> about the exact locations of the libraries and headers.
>
> If you look at the RKI standard makefile:
> https://github.com/alanc98/rki/blob/master/Makefile
> You can see that there are environment variables that point to the
> location of the tools and RTEMS libraries/bsps.
> As you can see in this makefile, the individual RTEMS libraries are not
> called out. I believe the -specs bsp_specs and -qrtems options take care of
> that.

The math, C, and gcc support libraries are in a location implicitly known
to the compiler.

The -B option specifies where the BSP is. The -specs option adds on BSP
specific options with
the -qrtems enabling them.

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Directory-Options.html#Directory-Options
documents the -B option.
It treats the argument as a system directory and that's the BSP directory
for RTEMS.

If you build extra libraries, I tend to recommend building them with BSP
specific options and
installing them under the BSP directory. That way they are optimized for
the BSP's CPU
and the -B picks them up. Sometimes a library can be built BSP independent
and installed
with the compiler.

> ( also note that the paths in that makefile do not separate tools and
> bsps.. I have not updated that in a while. In that example, tools and bsps
> were installed in $HOME/rtems/4.11, which will work, but I prefer to
> separate them )

I use separate install points for tools and BSPs for testing. That way I
can remove a BSP install
at any time without reinstalling tools. Handy since the BSP can be more
volatile than the tools.