C++ iostream only working in Init, not in other RTEMS Tasks

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed May 3 05:15:34 UTC 2017

On 03/05/17 00:47, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 2/5/17 6:03 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 02/05/17 09:35, Chris Coppens wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In our RTEMS application C++ iostream (e.g. "cout") is only working in
>>> the “Init” function?
>>> If I use “cout” in a RTEMS Task other than Init, no output is shown in
>>> the console.
>>> Any idea why this is happening?
>> The C++ library uses thread-local standard IO streams (Newlib feature)
>> for the global IO stream objects. I am not sure how to fix this
>> properly, but I guess a RTEMS-specific change in the libstdc++ would be
>> necessary.
>>
> Does a ticket exist for this? This should be fixed for 4.12.0 so please
> set the milestone to 4.12.0 and blocker.

I don't know if a ticket exists. This issue exits in all RTEMS versions
with C++ support. Since the initialization thread is restarted after the
C++ global constructor calls this issue is more obvious now.

Before you make this a release blocker, then please find someone who can
fix this.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16