Has anyone tried to port Mono to RTEMS

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed May 24 12:19:51 UTC 2017

On May 23, 2017 8:58 PM, "xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com" <xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com>
wrote:

Dear all,
Is that possible to port Mono to RTEMS? Has anyone tried this before?
As I notice that there is an open project in RTEMS projects.

Sometime ago, I was asked to provide an estimate for this. It had to be
between five and ten years ago because we were at the old office but after
we had done a few years of GSoC. I did enough work preparing the estimate
where I had the code building without too much effort. I saw the challenge
as getting the test suite running since you would have to create a test
harness and build/assembly helper that packaged the interpreted code with
the interpreter in order to run it. At that time, I envisioned having to
create a base image and a filesystem image per test.

Our POSIX was good enough then to avoid much trouble. It should only be
easier now since the POSIX support has improved.

There were a lot of Mono tests and I expected most to pass quickly. But
there was no way to know how many issues would be encountered and how many
root causes there would be. I expected to fix one or two things and then
run all the tests. That was where I expected time to be consumed.

FWIW I recall the GSoC date part because they thought we could magically
get students to do testing for free on a schedule. :)

I hope that helps. It is feasible but the key is testing.

--joel

Best wishes,
xuelin.tian at qkmtech.com