Building RSB (RTEMS Source Builder) on Windows 10

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Nov 15 22:35:26 UTC 2017

On 16/11/2017 08:37, Jacob Saina wrote:
> Thanks, I'm much better than I was yesterday.

Good to hear.

> I attempted a build of the 4.11.0 release of RSB from here
> (https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/4.11/4.11.0/) on the same Windows 10
> machine using the --without-rtems flag, and I get a build failure on the same
> thing, after 30 minutes:
>  Build: error: building arg4n2xwm1
> I am attaching the error report from yesterday building 4.11.2, as well as
> today's from 4.11.0.

Please use 4.11.2, 4.11.0 is known to be broken.

My build got lost, Windows 10 decided to update and restart over night even
after attempting to configure it not too.

> A clarification regarding the older Windows machine that was able to build
> 4.11.0 -- I learned that that was using git, and checking out the 4.11.0 tag, as
> opposed to downloading the release tarball. Maybe that is relevant.

I think 4.11.0 is not worth any effort and 4.11.2 is. Anything we find on 4.11.2
can be put on the 4.11 branch and 4.11.3 can be released. I am starting to look
at what is needed for 4.11.3.

I have been considering the default of building the RTEMS kernel when building
the tools as a result of what you have been reporting so thank you for taking
the time to do this.

In theory it is a good idea however some archs have too many BSP and the time
and resources it consumes makes this problematic. It may be simpler to not build
the RTEMS kernel and to make sure the documentation and Quick Start in the
release details how to build the kernel. This way the tools get built and
installed as a step and then the kernel can be built as a second step. At the
moment any failure means no tools and kernel and that is not great or user friendly.

> Additionally, I have trouble finding these pages to download releases from, like
> the one linked above, as they seem not to show up in search engine results. I
> always find pages like this (https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release/4.11). What's
> the typical way of navigating to them?

Wiki's are hard to maintain and things have been moving around lots.

In an attempt to make a single simple place to handle this I have added to the
top page of the Wiki a Releases table. A click on a bookmark to the wiki brings
you to this table and it is at the top so it should always be visible without
scrolling.

The table contains the releases the RTEMS project publicly supports. Currently
this is 5, 4.11 and 4.10. The project supports the development branch (git
master) and the previous two releases. Other releases may have work done on them
based on commercial support efforts.

The table contains a Download column and clicking on that link should take you
to the download directory for the release. This is a second click.

There is also a link to the Documentation and a link to create a bug for that
release. Each a click from the top of the wiki page.

The first column takes you to the Release Notes page which is a top level
wrapper for the dot point release notes. The dot point release notes are
captured in a PDF by the release process and placed in the release directory.

I hope this helps.

Chris