Building RSB (RTEMS Source Builder) on Windows 10

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Nov 16 21:44:54 UTC 2017

On 17/11/2017 08:04, Jacob Saina wrote:
>     I am currently building 4.11.2 from git ("git checkout 4.11.2" prior to
>     building), and it looks promising because it's been going for longer than
>     the others took to fail. I'll report back tomorrow.
>

> My computer also rebooted, but seemingly after the build completed. This means
> that the build completed, correct?:

No, the PC should not reboot but it can. MSYS2 is really very good but specific
machines can have this happen. I see it on my test machine but it is not often.
It all depends on the machine, what is installed, virus software, updates and more.

Building tools is pushing the limits on Windows but it can be done and it seems
stable and repeatable from my testing. Once the tools are built it is building
RTEMS and applications and these are easier on Windows machines because the
RTEMS tools are native Windows executables and my experience working with MinGW
built tools over the 17 or so years is gcc is fast and stable and works as well
as other hosts. It you combine the RTEMS tools with native build system tools
like waf, cmake or what ever else you like you will have a stable production
quality environment.

I have resisted providing pre-built Windows installers for release. For that to
change I would need funding to take it on to develop an installer and test.

> ___________________BEGIN LOG EXCERPT__________________________________
> RTEMS Source Builder - Set Builder, 4.11 (b487b7d13021 modified)
>
>  Command Line: ../source-builder/sb-set-builder --jobs=none --without-rtems
> --prefix=D:/opt/rtems/4.11 4.11/rtems-arm

I am running with the default and I am not seeing issues. I only have MSYS2
installed, no cygwin or MinGW. There was issues on MinGW a while ago with make
and parallel builds. I do not know if that has been resolved.

>  Python: 2.7.14 (default, Sep 18 2017, 09:17:44)  [GCC 7.2.0 64 bit (AMD64)]
>
> [...]
>
> cleaning: arm-rtems4.11-kernel-4.11-1
>
> removing: D:\opt\rtems\git\rtems\build\tmp\arm-rtems4.11-kernel-4.11-1-root-IAI
>
> removing: D:\opt\rtems\git\rtems\build\ark41
>
> removing: D:\opt\rtems\git\rtems\build\tmp\sb-IAI\4.11\rtems-arm
>
> Build Set: Time 2:58:27.982029

That finished. Did Windows reboot the machine for you?

> If so, the build of RSB  using "--without-rtems" completes for me using the git
> repo after doing "git checkout 4.11.2," but not using the 4.11.2 release tarball.

If this happens I would need to investigate why a release does not build and the
same source from git does.

Thank you for the testing and reports.

Chris