Size of application more than board's RAM (LM3S6965 Qemu)

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sat Oct 21 14:33:23 UTC 2017

On Oct 21, 2017 7:44 AM, "Hui Yie Teh" <hteh703 at aucklanduni.ac.nz> wrote:

Hi,

I have the following size for my application:

>   77500    1544   64032 143076   22ee4 o-optimize/test.exe

I believe .bss and part of the .data is allocated in RAM. However, the
LM3S6965 Qemu board only has 64kB of RAM. On top of that, I have 4 rtems
tasks that has the stack size of 2048. I thought that will be allocated in
the RAM too. But my application still works and I am wondering if I
calculated the amount of memory in RAM wrongly?

The .text is probably going into Flash which is often much larger than RAM.

The bss may reflect the size of the actual bss or all of RAM depending on
the BSP's linker script.

Check the numerically sorted symbol table (NM -g -n) of the executable and
see where things really are.

The 8k stacks will not be accounted for by the symbol table but will be
with RTEMS executive memory. Also malloc() isn't in the symbol table.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Yie