Remove support for the historic Intel 80386

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Apr 25 13:48:01 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 8:14 AM, Sebastian Huber <

> On 25/04/18 15:10, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 7:09 AM Heinz Junkes <junkes at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
>> <mailto:junkes at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     But Is this not the base for the Simulator i386/pc368 ?
>>

>> Yes it is.
>>
>> I don't know if they will answer directly but we have users of this BSP.
>>

> For the Intel 80386 or for a later model e.g. 80486? I want to remove only
> the 80386 variant.

Oh. You should have been more specific. The i386 CPU model is clearly dead
at this point.

FWIW I worked on an i386 based UNIX "mini-computer" which was claimed could
support 64 users
via serial port terminals. Based on Wikipedia's dates, my recollection of
using some prototype
CPUs and parts is likely correct.  Still produced until ~2006 though.

To answer your m68k question...I can't find the post to gcc@ but there are
only a handful
of ports using the cc and that is a barrier to future changes. The m68k,
v850, and a few
others are at risk until the port is updated to use more modern gcc
internals.  It was
discussed that if these ports are not updated, they will be deprecated.

--joel