Parker Solar Probe Plus Launch

Oyake, Amalaye (386C) amalaye.oyake at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 13 02:18:59 UTC 2018

Hello Christian,

Brief comments - I help organize the Flight Software Workshop (10+ years), and it was kicked off by Chris Krupiarz (the workshop was his idea) at JHUAPL, who I believe is also the Flight Software Lead for the Parker Solar Probe.

The Parker Solar Probe was presented several years ago at the workshop, and it has been discussed several times in that context. RTEMS is used on many space missions, and is perhaps the best example of 'Open Source' in space.

So yes, the 'RTEMS space page' could be in a more prominent place. I would imagine that there are other missions that are not listed on that link.

Regards,
-----------
* Amalaye Oyake                                       *
* Instrument Product Software Development Group  */\  *
* Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena            *||  *
* CA 91109                                       /||\ *
**************************************************^^***

On 8/11/18, 8:46 AM, "users on behalf of Christian Mauderer" <users-bounces at rtems.org on behalf of list at c-mauderer.de> wrote:

    Am 11.08.2018 um 17:35 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

    > On Sat, Aug 11, 2018, 11:31 AM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de
    > <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>> wrote:
    >
    >     Am 07.08.2018 um 22:32 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
    >     > Hi
    >     >
    >     > The launch window for the Parker Solar Probe
    >     > Plus is from Aug 11 to 23 (3 days minimum).
    >     >
    >     > http://parkersolarprobe.jhuapl.edu/
    >     >
    >     > This is an RTEMS-based mission that will be
    >     > closer to the Sun than Mercury. It will require
    >     > 7 Venus gravity assist flybys and will make its
    >     > first close approach in 2024.
    >     >
    >     > If someone notices the launch getting close or knows
    >     > where to watch it online, please post.
    >     >
    >     > Thanks.
    >     >
    >     > --joel
    >     >
    >     >

    >     Hello Joel,
    >
    >     space missions are always a great example for the widespread use of
    >     RTEMS (in that case in terms of kilometres). So is there any reason that
    >     would prevent this probe to be added to the list in the RTEMS wiki:
    >     https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/UserApp/RTEMSApplications#SpaceandAviation
    >
    >     I can add it if you want. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be
    >     a problem before doing so.
    >

    > Please add it even though officially TBR is to be removed..the idea was
    > to find a new way to capture the info in any TBR page when we moved to
    > Trac. But there are so many still.

    Missed the TBR. But as long as there is no better place ...

    I hope that I didn't start a discussion about the site just now ;-)

    > One is a duplication of getting started procedure between a TBR page and
    > the Users Guide. Need to review to.make sure Users Guide is best
    > version, change all references to old page, etc
    >

    >     Do you have any more (publicly available) details about where RTEMS is
    >     used in that probe?
    >

    > On my phone but Google "flight software workshop and solar probe plus".
    > That was its old name.

    Thanks. Found something:
    http://flightsoftware.jhuapl.edu/files/2015/Day-1/SolarProbePlusOverview.pdf