RES: Problems with RTEMS installation - coming from 4.10

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Feb 7 03:26:17 UTC 2018

On 05/02/2018 21:45, Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis wrote:
> Hi Mr. Silva, long time no see!
>
> Sorry for the delay on answering, just this weekend I could resume this task
> (don't let my wife know!!).
>
> Thanks for the link. As I suspected, I was missing something very very basic: I
> didn't build the BSP. Let me explain why, maybe it can help improving the
> documentation a little.
>
> I was misled by the item 7.2.1 of the on-line user manual which, at the end of
> the page, states that "you can now build a 3rd party library or an application".
> This, and the fact that the next page of the manual deals with a different way
> to build RTEMS (from git), made me assume the installation was finished and that
> the RSB included the configure script to build all BSP's of the selected
> architecture.

The documentation needs updating. See below ...

> It's clearly my fault, but it would help if the item 7.2.1 continued with
> bootstrap and the configure script before changing the topic.

It is not your fault. That documentation is bit outdated because a recent change
to 4.11 and master disables building the RTEMS kernel in releases. It was remove
because doing so was unexpected for those who are use to the developer work-flow
and an arch build could break if a single BSP is broken. This happened on the
4.11 branch [1]. I have raised #3292 to track the change on the 4.10 branch.

Chris

[1] https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3183