MIDAS rtems Port

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Jul 25 22:33:37 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Konstantin Olchanski <olchansk at triumf.ca>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 09:54:41AM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >
> > This can work on qemu as well. I would recommend the arm zynq BSP variant
> > for
> > qemu. That should be the easiest way to test and it would work without
> > dedicated
> > HW for RTEMS. Just a simulator on Linux talking to whatever MIDAS has on
> > the Linux host.
> >
> > Feel to ask questions on our mailing list. But you have to be subscribed
> > for the message to go through.
> >
> > And asking there for advice on setting up qemu/zynq with network is a
> good
> > thing for the list. I am sure someone is better than I am at helping you
> on
> > that specific topic.
> >

> Thank you for your information. Somehow what you have just is not the
> direction
> of things we do locally at TRIUMF - for ARM processor based machines
> we buy kits like RaspberryPi that run straight linux. Then for FPGA based
> devices,
> it is either straight FPGA (no CPU, cannot run MIDAS) or NIOS2 synthetic
> CPU (usually
> not enough on-FPGA and external RAM to run MIDAS, with any OS), or have an
> FPGA with
> built-in ARM CPU (Cyclone 5 SoC, etc), which again run straight linux.

You can run RTEMS on the Raspberry Pi also. My suggestion was just to
make things easier to debug without spending any money on any hardware.

RTEMS supports the NIOS2 and ARM Zynq.

> But for general MIDAS use, it is good health to have non-Linux, non-UNIX
> ports,
> keeps the hardware and os abstraction layers honest.

Similarly, RTEMS currently has 15+ processor architectures  and ~175 BSPs.
We have probably removed that many or more over the years.

--joel