GSoC'18-Introduction

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 06:44:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:12 PM, Christian Mauderer
<christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> Am 02.03.2018 um 00:53 schrieb Chris Johns:

>>> These would be two tasks that you can try out as first steps. Please
>>> note that this have only been suggestions. If you would like to do
>>> something else, you can have a look at that too.
>>>
>>> The getentropy() implementation should be a quite small and
>>> straightforward patch that you can implement and send to the mailing list.
>>>
>>> The FDT might need some discussion before you implement it. In the best
>>> case, that one would work for all boards and not only the BBB. Note that
>>> the devel mailing list could be the better place to discuss it.

>>> First of all: Great that you already found out where the FATAL occurs.
>>> It's not that easy to go through all the layers in libbsd. Especially
>>> without a debugger.
>>>
>>> But I'm not sure whether catching the memory access violation would be
>>> the right method here.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>

>>> I think it would be a good idea to take a look at the boot process
>>> first: We have two situations:
>>>
>>> 1. U-Boot does loads a FDT at a specified address and provides that
>>> address to the RTEMS application. The application checks the FDT at this
>>> address and uses it. This should be the good case.
>>>
>>> 2. U-Boot does not provide a FDT. That is the error case that you hit.
>>> I'm not sure whether the pointer to the FDT that normally would be
>>> provided by U-Boot has a defined value or whether it's just undefined.
>>> If it is undefined, a memory access violation might occur (if the
>>> pointer points to some non-existing or protected memory) but it doesn't
>>> have to (if the pointer points to some random but existing memory).
>>>
>>> So from my point of view, the first step would be to analyze what is
>>> provided as FDT pointer if you boot in U-Boot without a FDT like in your
>>> original boot line.
>>>
>>> I'm quite sure that there had been a discussion on the mailing list
>>> about that somewhere during last year. Most likely when Sichen added the
>>> FDT support to BBB. But I currently can't find it.
>>
>> My initial thought was to have a BSP level API via the BSP headers and a BSP
>> indication there is a valid FDT. A BSP can also publish a flag that says
>> "networking" requires an FDT so libbsd when first called from RTEMS can check
>> for both conditions and abort if an FDT is needed and it is not present.
>>
>> I seem to remember there is a header in the FDT blob we can probe for but I
>> could be wrong.
>
> That's right. There is a magic number in the header of a FDT that can be
> checked. I'm quite sure that the libbsd should check it and don't use
> the FDT blob if the header is wrong.

>From the Device Tree Compiler Manual at
https://github.com/dgibson/dtc/blob/master/Documentation/manual.txt#L316

- magic
This is a magic value that "marks" the beginning of the
device-tree block header. It contains the value 0xd00dfeed and is
defined by the constant OF_DT_HEADER

I would expect that the exception