Beaglebone Black RTEMS(Master)

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Tue Mar 13 09:07:24 UTC 2018

Am 12.03.2018 um 23:14 schrieb Chris Johns:
> On 12/03/2018 23:05, Emre Çetin wrote:
>> I can not use sdcard.sh script after configured rtems as bsp=beagleboneblack.
>> There is no problem with compiling via arm/beagle, I have all the .exe files but
>> I can not convert them to bootable images. Can you any suggestions? Thank you.
>> -- My host machine Ubuntu 64bit and rsb.master  --
>>
>> error: sdcard.sh line 58 $PATCH/bin/newfs_msdos not found
>>

> It looks like you are missing the command `newfs_msdos` on your host. I wonder
> if this is a FreeBSD [1] only command? A search returns:
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man8/mkfs.msdos.8.html
>
> which looks like it can do the task. Do you think you could replace
> `newfs_msdos` with the command in the man page from the link above, test and
> then please report back? You may need to figure out how the option translate.
>
> Chris
>
> [1] https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=newfs_msdos

Hello Emre and Chris,

yes the newfs_msdos is some quite special command. There are some others
in the script too that are quite FreeBSD specific and some U-Boot tools
are necessary too. When I tried to use the script on my Linux machine, I
searched all of the tools together and used scripts to build all of them
and added a slightly adapted create-sdcardimage.sh. You can find all the
scripts in the build subdirectory of this repository:

    https://gitlab.com/c-mauderer/rtems-bbb/tree/master

The build/build.sh in this repo would build all tools, the BSP and
libbsd and installs them into a install subdirectory.

But there is an alternative: If you use a recent enough U-Boot on your
BBB, you should be able to use just any FAT formatted SD card. Then put
a 'uEnv.txt' with the following three lines on the SD card:

----
setenv bootdelay 5
uenvcmd=run boot
boot=fatload mmc 0 0x80800000 app.img ; fatload mmc 0 0x88000000
am335x-boneblack.dtb ; bootm 0x80800000 - 0x88000000
----

The am335x-boneblack.dtb can be copied from some Linux or FreeBSD image
to the SD card. To create your app.img, you have to use some commands
including the U-Boot tool mkimage:

arm-rtems5-objcopy app.exe -O binary app.bin
gzip -9 app.bin
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -a 0x80000000 -e 0x80000000 -n RTEMS
-d app.bin.gz app.img

With kind regards

Christian
embedded brains GmbH