Fwd: GSOC'18 project description

Vidushi Vashishth reachvidu at gmail.com
Tue May 1 03:05:47 UTC 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vidushi Vashishth <reachvidu at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: GSOC'18 project description
To: Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org>

>Vidushi can add a task of creating a babeltrace formula for conversion
from your custom format to CTF to facilitate unified analysis. Just
need a good description and examples of the custom format I guess.

Sure I can do that. I will get started with the babeltrace formula and a
sample custom format to CTF conversion example.

>Yes, it would be good to have tickets at the start of each phase as a
way to track progress and issues. Vidushi, maybe you can begin by
pulling out of your proposal the few tasks in Phase 1 and create a new
ticket for each one?

Yes that makes sense. For the first phase of my project I can think of
making three tickets:
1) Making improvements to barectf: adding struct and array support
2) Creating a rtems-tld generator which binds the barectf calls to the
generated C code
3) Integrating barectf output support with capture engine.

If this seems fine I will make the required tickets and link them to my
wiki project page.

>This is a good and important question. I think there should be a
section in this User Manual under Host Tools for the Babeltrace/Debug
tools that use the CTF output. There will also likely need to be
additions to the Classic API guide for "Configuring a System" and
improvements to description of the Capture Engine, which I'm currently
having trouble finding.

I can make the required documentation in this manner. However, I think a
single place that can summarize the tracing setup with a 'quickstart' would
be easier for the users.
Also while reading up documentation I found this page:
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/tools/linker.html
The description on the page says "not complete". Is someone working on this
currently? Since rtems linker is a part of the tracing system I could use
this for my understanding.

Best,
Vidushi