GSOC'18 project description

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue May 1 03:54:52 UTC 2018

On 01/05/2018 08:35, Russell Haley wrote:

> Hi! I wanted to add that DTrace is an unmatched tool for kernel level tracing.
> It provides "zero" overhead tracing by actually re-writing the in-memory process
> images with instrumented instructions. In FreeBSD, it can be used to count
> individual system calls down to the level that would typically require a
> debugger (without the debugger overhead).

+1 for dtrace, I would love to see it on RTEMS. It is a clean proven design with
a documented and understood user interface.

> I know I mentioned DTrace a while back on this list, but didn't have much
> information to provide. Ping me if you want to know more. I'm not an expert, but
> have used it a little to trace system calls on a BBB in FreeBSD.
>
> As I have said before, DTrace may be way outside a GSOC project, but want to
> make sure it gets mentioned in the context of this discussion.

I think it is at this point in time. We need to be careful when looking into
packages at integrate deep into RTEMS, if there are tricks with the VM, exec, or
user support via shells etc we tend to struggle.

Chris