Problems with RTEMS toolchain build 4.12 & 5 incl. Ada support

Thanassis.Tsiodras at esa.int Thanassis.Tsiodras at esa.int
Fri Nov 30 08:26:03 UTC 2018

Hi Chris.

I wrote that script - and indeed use it to build the cross-compiler
bundled in the TASTE VM.

It's been a while since I last performed a build - so my advice may be a
bit outdated - but your problems in all likelihood come from using an old
GNAT. The Ada cross compiler uses constructs that aren't supported in
GNAT6.3 (the default policy in Debian stable - which is the basis of the
TASTE VM - is to update things.... very slowly). So when I build the cross
compiler, I simply install a later GNAT from Debian testing or unstable (
edit /etc/apt/sources.list, add the "testing" or "unstable" repos,
"apt-get update", and then install gnat 7 - or maybe we're at gnat 8 now
(not sure).

Try it again this way, and keep me in the loop (you can contact me
directly if you want). I make it a point to keep that script working -
because we need Ada support in our TASTE-bundled cross-compilers,
regardless of how everything else evolves.

BTW, even though I periodically merge my script in the repo you pointed
to, my "master" copy is here:
https://gitrepos.estec.esa.int/ttsiodras/RTEMS-build-workflows/tree/master/OAR/contrib

At some point I need to create a Dockerfile to completely automate this
thing - there's too many variables to consider and people can easily trip
over one of them.

Cheers,
Thanassis.

Thanassis Tsiodras
Real-time Embedded Software Engineer
System, Software and Technology Department

ESTEC
Keplerlaan 1, PO Box 299
NL-2200 AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Thanassis.Tsiodras at esa.int | www.esa.int