installing python headers for RTEMS on OS X

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Nov 23 00:07:27 UTC 2018

On 23/11/2018 00:32, Andrew Butterfield wrote:
>  I am involved with a project about to startup, funded by the European Space Agency, looking at verifying the multi-core scheduling algorithms that will be part of RTEMS 5.

Hello and welcome to RTEMS.

> I am working closely with Sebastian Huber (Cced) who I guess some of you already know.

I do. :)

> My problem is that I am trying to build RTEMS on my Macbook Pro
> using a makefile I obtained from Sebastian (attached)

My mail reader says the file has a size of 0.

> The build fails with the following error
>
> checking whether to use python... /usr/local/bin/python2
> checking for python2.7... no
> configure: error: no usable python found at /usr/local/bin/python2

The build I did here ...

https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2018-October/001123.html

... has in it's build log:

checking whether to use python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python2.7... yes

This is the MacOS provided python. The RSB gdb python check support must be
finding python2 in the path posted. I do not think this is the standard one.

> Sebastian said:
>> you need the Python headers installed (Python development package). I don't know how you can do this and it is missing from the user manual.

It is true you need the python development libraries as gdb links to the python
runtime to provide python support inside gdb. On some hosts you do just need to
install the devel support for python while others such as MacOS it is more
complicated if you are using packaging system.

> Can anyone help. I'm using OS X 10.14.1 (Mojave), with Xcode (10.1 (10B61))  installed.

I am using OS X 10.14.1 or Darwin-18.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit. Xcode is 10,1 (10B61)).

> Running 'python-config --include'
> returns
> -I/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.12_2/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7

This looks like a packaging system version to me.

My MacOS test machine does have any 3rd party packaged software installed so I
can make sure RTEMS and the RSB builds with just MacOS and Xcode installed.

This is not a comment on macports or homebrew, they are great however I need to
baseline what RTEMS provides.

> In here I see a large collection of .h files.
> How do I "install" these?

You can either remove those packages or you can update and play with them until
you have something that works for you. Unfortunately I have no capacity or
equipment to support macports or homebrew builds.

Chris