New RTEMS user..

Patrick O'Banion (TMMC) Patrick.OBanion at toyota.com
Thu Sep 6 17:39:21 UTC 2018

Hello,

So I built my first set of "Build Tools" for the sparc erc32 as suggested in the rtems help docs.  I was able to get the gdb SIS working with a modified "Hello World" example. (see attached)

Now I want to start working towards my goal of using rtems on a development board.  Here is where the noob questions comes in...
1. If I create a second set of build tools for an ARM processor, what is the best way to define the directory structure for it?
I currently have these defined for the sparc erc32...

~/development/rtems/5
~/development/rtems/src/kernel
~/development/rtems/src/kernel/erc32
~/development/rtems/src/kernel/rtems
~/development/rtems/src/rtems-source-builder
Etc..

If I build a new set of build tools, can they share these directories?  I expect I will get a second set of "arm" build tools in my "~/development/rtems/5/bin" directory.  I can see how in the src/kernel I can create a new build directory.  For example "~/development/rtems/src/kernel/arm" and recompile rtems for an arm processor there without disturbing the erc32 build.  But what do you typically do for the tools?  I could archive them in a new directory or just change the dir name to something erc32 specific...  There are probably numerous ways to handle it, I was just wondering if there is a standard method most rtems users prefer.

2. My final targets are an adafruit M4 Metro (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-m4-express-featuring-atsamd51/overview) and an adafruit Trinket Pro (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2000).  Could someone maybe help suggest the closest BSP for these boards?  I don't mind attempting to build/modify the BSPs.  I think with some help from the rtems community and google I could do it.

This is my first stab at RTEMS so anything anyone can offer would probably help.  I do have some limited experience with RTEMS from one of my previous jobs (2004-2006).

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Pat

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted may contain information which is confidential. If you are not one of the intended recipients of this message, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and attachments without retaining a copy. You should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. To the extent this e-mail is confidential, it shall be treated as confidential and the information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada. Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted in this e-mail.