Upper limit for BSS on SPARC BSP ?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Sep 5 13:58:36 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 8:45 AM Hugues Jérôme <hugues.jerome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> > Le 5 sept. 2018 à 14:20, Sebastian Huber <
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> a écrit :
> >
> > Hello Hugues,
> >
> > On 05/09/18 14:02, Hugues Jérôme wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I’m investigating a memory alignement issue using the GR740 BSP.
> >> It appears we have a memory corruption when the BSS is bigger than 4MB.
> >
> > does the ELF file look all right? Is the stack pointer at the end of RAM
> right at the entry point (start)? Is the BSS section properly zeroed in the
> startup sequence?
>
> I’m not sure I can provide any positive answer to these questions.
> We used the default GR740 BSP, compiled by Thanassis Tsiodras. We did not
> change anything
>
> As far as i can see, the BSS is zeroed by start.S
> do you have any recommendation to perform the diagnosis you prescribe ?
>
> As far as I can provide details
> size (from binutils) can parse the ELF file, but that does not mean a lot
> stack pointer is set by the linker script (if I understood correctly this
> part), and we did not change it

Just to confirm things, can you break in start.S near where the clear bss
loop is and make sure something stupid isn't going on.

My first two completely random thoughts is that something memory regions
are overlapping or math in start.S ends up with that happening.

The second is that perhaps some memory controller initialization isn't
quite right.