network-demos/netdemo runtime error & debug build error: no rule to make target `librtemsbsp_g.a'

Morgan, Keith S morgank at lanl.gov
Fri May 24 22:35:33 UTC 2019

After accounting for the build errors in network-demos/netdemo [1] we reported here [2], we believe there is a runtime error (the error only occurs in RTEMS 5, everything seems to work in RTEMS 4.11). We are defining a network interface assigned to a 192.168.0.0/24 subnet as we described in [2] and using a Cobham/Gaisler LEON Expandable Application Platform (LEAP) board for testing [3]. See below for information about the runtime error. The upshot, however, is that we would like to debug the runtime error, but when building the debug target of network-demos/netdemo we get the following build error:

[rtems at localhost netdemo]$ RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH=${HOME}/projects/rtems-5/bsp-install/sparc-rtems5/leon3 make debug
sparc-rtems5-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qrtems_debug'; did you mean '-fvtv-debug'?

If we replace -qrtems_debug with -fvtv-debug in the Makefile, or just remove -qrtems_debug we get the following build error instead:

[rtems at localhost netdemo]$ RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH=${HOME}/projects/rtems-5/bsp-install/sparc-rtems5/leon3 make debug
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `rtems-5/bsp-install/sparc-rtems5/leon3/lib/librtemsbsp_g.a', needed by `o-debug/netdemo.exe'.

Since the linker normally tries to link against `rtems-5/bsp-install/sparc-rtems5/leon3/lib/librtemsbsp_g.a' we assumed that we needed to build a debug version of the rtems kernel + bsp. However, we have tried building the kernel + bsp with 'make debug' [4] and 'make VARIANT=debug' [5] and neither of those approaches build 'librtemsbsp_g.a'.

What is the proper way to build a debug kernel + bsp?

Sincerely,
Keith Morgan &
Sam Larsen

Information about the runtime error...

If we build everything (RTEMS tools, RTEMS kernel+bsp and network-demos/netdemo) using the latest versions in git, we only get the following output when executing netdemo.exe on the LEAP board:

Initialize network

If, however, we build everything (RTEMS tools, RTEMS kernel+bsp and network-demos/netdemo) using the 4.11 branches (i.e. 'git checkout 4.11' on each of the repos), we get the following output (and we are also able to communicate with the TCP echo server running as part of netdemo.exe):

Initialize network
greth: driver attached
**** PHY ****
Vendor: 80017   Device: 9   Revision: 0
Current Operating Mode: 100 Mbit Full Duplex
Autonegotiation Time: 1708ms
Network initialized
Destination     Gateway/Mask/Hw    Flags     Refs     Use Expire Interface
127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1          UH          0        0      0 lo0
192.168.0.0     255.255.255.0      U           0        0     11 gr_eth1
Initiating test
Create socket.
Bind socket.
Listen.