ARM RTEMS 4.11 Test Errors

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Nov 22 13:55:36 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 6:40 PM furkan bodur <furkanbdr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to learn RTEMS for my graduation project. I am going to
> use Beagle Black in project so I changed "sparc" and "erc32" parameters
> into "arm" and "beagleboneblack". I successfully build RSB and Kernel but
> when I try to run Hello.exe with arm-rtems4.11-run or arm-rtems4.11-gdb
> command, I can't get the output even though there are no errors. Here is
> the command and output,
> ---------
> $ arm-rtems4.11-gdb hello.exe
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.9
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <
> http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-linux-gnu
> --target=arm-rtems4.11".
> Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
> For help, type "help".
> Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
> Reading symbols from hello.exe...done.
> (gdb) tar sim
> Connected to the simulator.
> (gdb) load
> Start address 0x80000040
> Transfer rate: 877440 bits in <1 sec.
> (gdb) r
> Starting program:
> /home/furkan/quick-start/build/beagleboneblack/arm-rtems4.11/c/beagleboneblack/testsuites/samples/hello/hello.exe
> [Inferior 1 (process 42000) exited normally]
> (gdb)

This isn't going to work because you need to run the BBB executables on
real hardware.
This will require setting up a way (tftp or SD card) to get the rtems
executables on the BBB.

> ---------
>
> Also when I try to work rtems-test command, I am getting this error.
> ---------
>  $ rtems-test
> error: no hosts defaults found; please add
> ---------

rtems-test takes more arguments and you will have to give it some
information
that is specific to how your board and boot server are setup.

> I used this command for building RSB,
> ---------
> $HOME/quick-start/src/rtems/configure \
>     --prefix=$HOME/quick-start/rtems/4.11\
>     --enable-maintainer-mode \
>     --target=arm-rtems4.11 \
>     --enable-rtemsbsp=beagleboneblack \
>     --enable-tests
> ---------
>
> I tried to do work with RTEMS 5 but I got similar errors. One of them was
> about the gdb after that I decided to turn 4.11. Where am I doing mistake?
> I just want to see Hello Word output in my screen. I hope I can explain
> myself. Please help me.

This looks to be the correct way to build rtems but not run the BBB
programs.

Hopefully someone will pipe up who is actively using the BBB. I am speaking
from patterns and old experience.

--joel