jtag access for zybo zynq board

Kent Dorfman kent.dorfman766 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 17:01:35 UTC 2019

Yes.  am reading is OpenOCD document.  My specific use-case is
Zybo-7020 using a USB/HS1 JTAG link and there are things in the
document I'm not sure about:

1) can I ignore anything related to the PL?  I don't know how it's
configured and really don't care as long as it doesn't interfere with
the PS (normal computing capabilities)

2) all these OS documents refer back to the xilinx SDK or Vivado as
how to make a boot image that does (required) initialization/setup.
I'm very much against using those tools because I take exception to
their "eavesdropping" licensing terms.  I need to know if there is
necessary magic that is being supplied by those tools, or if bootgen
is all I need.

3) the document seems centered around the flyswatter jtag, which I
don't have, so I'm not sure what's relevant or what needs changed to
work with the usb/jtag-hs1

built a simple rtems app to flash the LED-4 @ MIO/GPIO-7, based on
realview-pbx-a9 bsp and no build errors, but I'm not sure if the
bootgen output would execute or if there is more complicated board
setup required before loading a simple GPIO LED app:

bootgen -w on -arch zynq -image blink.bif -o BOOT.BIN

and blink.bif containing:
image:
{
[bootloader] blink-app.elf