File system deadlock troubleshooting

Mathew Benson mbenson at windhoverlabs.com
Tue Oct 8 14:30:44 UTC 2019

I don't have a test case that I can post or give away, yet.  I may put one
together later.

Yes.  All 4 tasks are on that same conditional wait.  The condition is a
response from a block device.  The test case is hammering the RAM disk.  I
wrote some of the flash drivers but as far as I know, the RAM disk was used
as is so I haven't looked at the code.  That conditional wait does not have
a time out so it just pends forever.

Thanks.  I'll try the RFS trace when I have time.  Unfortunately, this is
late in the development cycle so I don't have ready access to the article
under test.  Loading it with non production code takes time.  Trying to
reproduce it on a non production environment.  For now, all I have is shell
commands and manually decoding dumped memory.

Somebody more knowledgable on the inner workings of the RTEMS kernel
expressed concern a while ago that heavy use of the RAM disk could
basically out run the kernel worker thread.  I noted it but didn't ask
about the mechanics of how or why that could happen.  Are requests to the
worker threads in a lossy queue?  Is it possible the request is getting
dropped?

--
*Mathew Benson*
CEO | Chief Engineer