installing Doorstop on macOS (for RTEMS use)

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Oct 10 21:26:32 UTC 2019

On 11/10/19 1:15 am, Andrew Butterfield wrote:
> Dear RTEMS Users,

>  It is planned to use this for RTEMS requirements in the RTEMS qualification project.
>
> It turned out to install really easily on my machine, in few 10s of seconds

<sigh>

> The following is a record of my system setup w.r.t. python,
> and the installation process.
>

> Hardware/OS: MacBook Pro, 2.8Ghz i7, 16GB ram, 500GB flash, macOS 10.14.6
>
> python state:
>
> ~> which python
> /usr/local/bin/python
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm ...
> ~> python --version
> Python 2.7.16
>
> ~> which python3
> /usr/local/bin/python3
> ~> python3 --version
> Python 3.7.4
>
> ~> which pip
> /usr/local/bin/pip
> ~> pip --version
> pip 19.0.3 from /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip (python 2.7)
>
> ~> which pip3
> /usr/local/bin/pip3
> ~> pip3 --version
> pip 19.1.1 from /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip (python 3.7)
>
> Both pythons are 'brew' versions. Chris Johns said we should only use
> the native installed versions.

I am actually saying this is currently all we need to build our tool set. I
cannot afford to have homebrew or macport packages installed because what I
might have installed at any point in time may effect the building of the tools
and I would never know and if I step on a bug where is the problem.

I do not have the time or resources to maintain our tool sets when building with
homebrew and macports packages installed. If an issue is found is the problem in
the tools or an installed package. I would need to determine which part and look
for a solution. I do not want to become a Mac package maintainer or a MacOS
expert in a wide number of open source packages.

I have found the Xcode command line tools from Apple to be stable over a number
of years and I have found Apple and GCC to be responsive to any issues I raise.
I have raised a number of bugs with both parties and in each case I seem to be
one of first to uncover them.

> However other tools I may choose to used
> often need to be installed using 'brew' and you would be amazed how many
> of those have python as a (brew) dependency.

This is one alternative and one that brings other often more complicated issues.

How do we managing building all the tools for all architectures making sure they
build and work with any mix of installed packages at whatever versions they
have? Our mailing list has a number of posts about the RSB not building tools on
MacOS and my first question is always "are any packages installed from homebrew
or macports?" and it normally ends up being related.

I have no idea how you would control and specify a set of suitable packages for
homebrew or macports. I do know if you use a specific version of Xcode on a
specific version of MacOS you will end up with the same tool set I have built
and tested. I think this is important and important for our users.

Chris