Migration Guide for RTEMS 4.11 to 5

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Apr 16 13:17:15 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:02 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello,
>
> we started with a migration guide from RTEMS 4.11 (or other versions of
> course) to 5:
>
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/migration/v4_11-to-v5.html
>
> There are probably a lot more things to consider. If someone already
> migrated an application to RTEMS 5, then please share your issues,
> workaround, necessary changes, etc. so that others may have it a bit
> easier.

Perhaps slightly out of scope from what you are thinking of but if someone
has an out of tree BSP, a warning about the source movement, sysinit, per
section linking requiring wildcards in linker scripts, template linker
scripts,
new console infrastructure, clean up of Makefile.am, tcfg files, etc with
pointers to an example BSP. There were a lot of little things that changed
that add up. I'm not suggesting a deep dive but just a statement that a lot
changed and a "for example, the following" with a bullet list. See the BSP
manual for details.

And I wasn't sure it was clear that the rtems_clock_get_XXX methods have
been around since 4.8. We have been discouraging rtems_clock_get
that long. git blame shows I added them in 2007/2008. We are finally just
killing the untyped version. It was long discouraged.

--joel