Question about rtems_cpu_usage_report

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Apr 27 21:32:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 6:54 AM Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> On 27/04/2020 14:49, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 1:10 AM Sebastian Huber
> > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello Carmen,
> >
> >     On 24/04/2020 10:10, Carmen Pastor wrote:
> >     > Hi All,
> >     >
> >     > I've a question for RTEMS 4.10. I'm using the function
> >     > rtems_cpu_usage_report() to get the CPU usage, and it is working
> >     well
> >     > but now I need to process the data of the output report, so I would
> >     > like to get the report data in some kind of structure. I see the
> >     function
> >     > rtems_cpu_usage_report_with_plugin() but I don't know how use it,
> >     > could someone of you give me an example?
> >     unfortunately, the CPU usage report is not available in a
> >     structure. You
> >     could refactor the rtems_cpu_usage_report_with_plugin() function
> >     and add
> >     a variant which passes a structure with the CPU usage to a visitor
> >     function.
> >

> > FWIW the stack usage information is in the same situation. These are both
> > desirable features but no one has stepped up to see that they got
> > implemented.
> >
> > I know of at least one application that actually wrote the reports to
> > a file and then
> > parsed it to get their structure. Why they didn't invest the effort in
> > refactoring the
> > code, I don't know.
> It seems some users have an unfounded fear about modifying RTEMS sources.

i wrote up brief descriptions awhile back:
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/CPU_Statistics
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/StackChecker

Some users have a hard time to use anything other than an RTEMS
release (or packaged version), and a hard time to return their changes
back upstream (out of their silo). Sad, but true.