rsb and toolchain debug symbols

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Sat Aug 29 21:09:58 UTC 2020

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 10:17 AM Michael Davidsaver
<mdavidsaver at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/27/20 5:31 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
> > On 28/8/20 5:39 am, Michael Davidsaver wrote:
> >> Is there a way to ask RSB to either build the toolchain
> >> (ie. gcc itself) without debug symbols, or to strip them
> >> prior to install?
> >
> > Not at the moment but this would be a nice feature. I can see it being needed.
> >

> >> https://github.com/mdavidsaver/rsb/releases/
> >>
> >> I keep a set of pre-built RTEMS pc*86 toolchains for use
> >> by CI builders, principally travis-ci.org.  In looking
> >> at adding RTEMS 5.1 to this I noticed that the resulting
> >> compressed tar was considerably larger that previously.
> >> 4.9 or 4.10 for pc386 are ~100MB, while 5.1 for pc686
> >> is weighing in at 380MB.
> >>
> >> Looking into it, most of this size seems to be in debug
> >> symbols.  eg. "libexec/gcc/i386-rtems5/7.5.0/cc1plus"
> >> is (uncompressed) 166MB with debug symbols and 26MB without.
> >
> > That is a saving. The RSB could scan the tree of files before coping them to the
> > install point and for any host executable run the host's `strip` command. I
> > suppose we could also run it on any host archives if there is any easy way to
> > detect them.
>
> strip -d <prefix>/libexec/gcc/*/*/cc1*
> strip -d <prefix>/bin/*
>
> Gives ~50% reduction in compressed and uncompressed sizes without much effort.
>
> > A tool chain also installs the various libc, libm, libstd++ etc libraries for
> > the RTEMS architecture. With an expanding number multilibs in some architectures
> > the number and so the overall size of those libraries is growing. I am not sure
> > if we can do something about that. Stripping them would help but this leaves you
> > with RTEMS executables that have no debugging info. Would that be an issue?
>
> I'd prefer to keep debug symbols for target code.

Yes, this seems likely to be better to strip at the end of application
builds, if desired. Maybe it is possible to tune the toolchain for the
particular multilibs of interest for a given user's setup though? If
someone is only going to build one particular ARM board, they don't
need all the many arm multilibs.