'TIME' task cpuuse

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jan 13 15:01:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 8:53 AM Matthew J Fletcher <amimjf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My application seems to be using around 1/3rd of its total cpu usage in
> the 'TIME' task,. is this the task created by rtems_timer_initiate_server()
> ?

Yes.

> What would be the best way to get more information,. are there console
> commands that would emit more data, or do i need to instrument my
> application to see usage of all rtems_timer_xx callbacks ?

rtems_timer_server_xx would be the ones going to the TIME Server.

But 1/3 seems quite excessive. I would assume one of your timer server
routines is doing something unexpectedly heavy CPU-wise.

I don't think there is any instrumentation in the server which would help.
Measuring the execution time of each invocation is what comes to mind. My
first thought is that this would be a nice debug option for timers. But I
am not sure how good this would be for ISR style.

--joel