RTEMS on Aurix/TriCore

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jul 28 11:53:05 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020, 3:50 AM Knopp, Felix Ulrich <knopp at campus.tu-berlin.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The company I work for is currently using AURIX/TriCore micro-controllers
> running PXROS as real time operating system.
> I am now investigating if we could use a free alternative like RTEMS
> instead. However, from what i've seen so far (I'm very new to RTEMS) the
> TriCore architecture is not supported by RTEMS.

You are correct. RTEMS does not currently support the TriCore.

> Would it be possible to run rtems on an aurix micro-controller?

Yes but it would require a port to a new architecture as well as a BSP for
your target hardware. It is highly desirable to have a simulator to use
while doing the initial bring up. It also helps with automated testing.

> What would have to be done to support a new processor architecture?

There is a CPU Architecture Supplement at docs.rtems.org which covers many
of the issues and how various ports have addressed them.

What toolchain is available? I don't see TriCore in current gcc sources
although there are references online to older versions.

> I'm thankful for any information

No problem.

--joel