RTEMS on Aurix/TriCore

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Jul 28 11:56:41 UTC 2020

Hello Felix,

On 28/07/2020 10:50, Knopp, Felix Ulrich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The company I work for is currently using AURIX/TriCore
> micro-controllers running PXROS as real time operating system.
> I am now investigating if we could use a free alternative like RTEMS
> instead. However, from what i've seen so far (I'm very new to RTEMS)
> the TriCore architecture is not supported by RTEMS.
>
> Would it be possible to run rtems on an aurix micro-controller?

yes, there is currently no TriCore support for RTEMS. One of the reasons
is that there is no free and maintained compiler available for this
platform (at least as far as I know).

> What would have to be done to support a new processor architecture?

Firstly, you need a compiler. Ideally one which can build Newlib. For
the RTEMS core, you don't need a full C library, but if you can't use
Newlib, then things get more complicated. Then you have to do a full CPU
port for the TriCore. This is feasible, but not done in two weeks of work.