GCC 11 and Static Analysis

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Jan 29 15:28:52 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 6:15 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 6:49 AM Sebastian Huber <
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello Matthew,
>>
>> On 29/01/2021 10:14, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Does RTEMS trunk roughly follow GCC releases ?,. i've seen discussion
>> > of GCC 11 on the dev mailing list.
>> you can already try out the GCC 11 based tools with the experimental
>> RTEMS 7 tool chain available in the RSB.
>> >
>> > I wonder if we (RTEMS users) could take advantage of the new static
>> > analysis options in GCC 11.
>> >

>> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2021/01/28/static-analysis-updates-in-gcc-11/
>> > <
>> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdevelopers.redhat.com%2Fblog%2F2021%2F01%2F28%2Fstatic-analysis-updates-in-gcc-11%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cmatthew.fletcher%40se.com%7Cb41c34faa0154d5137e908d8c42830b3%7C6e51e1adc54b4b39b5980ffe9ae68fef%7C0%7C0%7C637475024180771568%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=SmQ4xfLBvYSeQUx0xd0jKC2z%2F89gRLH6IrHg17EJmUI%3D&reserved=0>
>>

>> > Would seem very useful for embedded projects where runtime analysis is
>> > difficult.
>> Yes, you can give it a try. I never used it myself. The Coverity scan
>> alone keeps me busy.
>>

> Agreed. I had privately chatted with Gedare about this. He and some
> students had planned to or have looked at llvm's analyzer but this should
> be an easy step.
>
> The question on all these types analysis tools is how to manage the
> output. As a project, we do Coverity runs on leon3 for consistency. BSP
> doesn't matter for you if you want to pick at issues. But if it has
> warnings now, this will only increase the number.
>
> And it would be nice to think in terms of having automated reports
> available for the community and a scoreboard of some sort to track progress.
>
> But honestly, I've been reporting on warnings and analysis issues for
> years. Sometimes filing tickets. Sometimes fixing. It is an endless quest
> and hard to get broad help.
>
> In fairness, issues in common code gets fixed. Issues in random device
> drivers can tend to linger.
>
> Please experiment and report.

Hi Matt,

Yes, if you're interested, we can talk more about looking into the GCC
static analyzer jointly. I will get around to it when I get around to it :)
Probably in April or May. I did get a student to product results from
clang-analyzer also, but haven't turned that into production-grade yet.
The big issue is triage and integration with workflows, and that is
something that requires work and thought from both the contributors and the
project maintainers.

Gedare