RTEMS only executes no task and only finds one core imx7

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Mar 2 19:29:15 UTC 2021

Hi Stefan,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Stefan Akatyschew <stefan.aka at posteo.de> wrote:

> Hello together,
> after I could successfully fiddle around with some tasks on a single
> core, I tried to get some basic SMP application running.
> I use as before trace32 to load the program and added parts from the
> lauterbach iMX7-sabre SMP startup script. With that I at get both cores
> running. And also my RTEMS 5 compiler tells me, that RTEMS_SMP is defined.

And it should work on iMX7
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/cpu-supplement/arm.html#symmetric-multiprocessing

I don't personally have experience with that, so I can only give some
general advice.

> For my application code, I oriented myself on the "smp01" example. https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/testsuites/smptests/smp01
> Unfortunately I see that core 0 is stuck in the "smpmulticastaction.c"
> in some loading functions, I can't really wrap my head around? While
Which function? can you backtrace?

> core 1 is stuck at an IRQ intialisation routine (in irq/irq-gic.c) for
ditto?

> the second core.
> I tried fiddeling around with the configuration and different taks, but
> get always the same response. I've gone through the user manual and the
> API guide, but couldn't find any problems.
> The application as is works fine on a single core, if I set the
> CONFIGURE_MAXIMUM_PROCESSORS to 1.
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I attached my two source files and the
> practice Script.

Unfortunately, I don't think the SMP boot sequence is well-documented.
You probably have to work your way through the code.
bsps/arm/shared/start/arm-a9mpcore-smp.c

There is some doxygen that might help you too:
https://docs.rtems.org/doxygen/branches/master/group__ScoreSMP.html

and you can check out the bspsmp.c files beneath bsps/ of some other
implementations for some ideas.

We probably need a section related to SMP initialization added to
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/bsp-howto/index.html

Maybe someone with more experience on this particular board or with
arm/SMP will be able to suggest better insight.

-Gedare