rtems-record-lttng: Corrupted timestamps after translating to CTF

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Mar 5 18:00:43 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:27 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:45 AM Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/03/2021 16:11, Jan.Sommer at dlr.de wrote:
>>
>> > Some of the resulting CTF events have a very large timestamp. This only occurs for events of which are created by CPUs other than CPU0, but not all of them.
>> > I ran rtems-record-lttng in gdb and could track it to record-client.c:176 (https://git.rtems.org/rtems-tools/tree/trace/record/record-client.c#n176).
>> > There the (delta * ctx->to_bt_scaler ) causes an overflow and sets per_cpu->uptime.bt to a very large negative number which then later becomes a very large (positive) timestamp.
>> >
>> > I have some trouble figuring out what is going wrong here. The timestamps which are read from the rtems record events looks quite reasonable to me.
>> > The to_bt_scaler is quite a large value and I don't fully get what it scales. Does someone have some hints?
>> It could be related to ring buffer overflows. Do you get
>> RTEMS_RECORD_PER_CPU_OVERFLOW items? There could be also some bugs in
>> record-client.c. More unit tests for it would be helpful.
>

> Asking stupidly, are there tests now? We didn't catch that libtrace was missing in the new coverage reports:
>
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/coverage/coverage-2021-02-28/
>
> I can add it to the queue that libtrace is added. If more subsystems
> are missing that we want to track coverage on, please point them out.

In cpukit the following are not covered. I have no strong opinion, but
unless there is justification NOT to report on it, we should? Several
of these don't have any tests, so then the question is whether they
should have tests/examples written that use them.

libdebugger
libdl
libdrvmgr
libfs
libgnat
libi2c
libmisc/capture
libmisc/fb
libmisc/monitor
libmisc/mouse
libmisc/redirector
libmisc/rtems-fdt
libmisc/serdbg
libmisc/shell
libmisc/utf8proc
libmisc/uuid
libmisc/xz
libpci
librtemscxx
libtest
libtrace
mghttpd
telnetd
zlib

It may be good just to know that our testsuite covers 0% of some of
these directories, so that users can know... use at your own peril :o