Unknown task ID "Hefg" seen in thread_switch hook

Schweikhardt, Jens (TSPCE6-TL5) Jens.Schweikhardt at tesat.de
Mon Aug 29 11:59:56 UTC 2022

hello, world

I’m chasing an observation I can’t explain in RTEMS 5.1 for risc-v on a rocketchip.
The application starts about 10 tasks, none of which with a rtems_build_name(‘H’, ‘e’, ‘f’, ‘g’).
We also use the thread_switch extension and record the ID of the next task to be
executed, saving heir->Object.name.name_u32 in a non-volatile place.
This works and usually shows known task IDs, until it doesn’t.
I’ve grepped the RTEMS sources for uses of build_name and don’t see any that use Hefg in any way, shape or form.
Now I’m stumped.
Does this name ring a bell for you? Does RTEMS use “internal” tasks that we don’t see?
How could the thread_switch hook see such a name?
My only theory at the moment is that a wild pointer messed with the thread object.

Thanks for any insights!
Regards, Jens

Tesat-Spacecom GmbH & Co. KG
Sitz: Backnang; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 270977
Persoenlich haftender Gesellschafter: Tesat-Spacecom Geschaeftsfuehrungs GmbH;
Sitz: Backnang; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 271658;
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Thomas Reinartz, Kerstin Basche, Ralph Schmid

[banner]