Fwd: FW: Trusted CI Webinar: Improving the Security of Open-Source Software Infrastructure, January 23rd @11am EST

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Jan 20 18:27:32 UTC 2023

I'll be presenting a webinar on Monday with relevance to RTEMS:
Improving the Security of Open-Source Software Infrastructure, January
23rd at 11am (Eastern).

The registration link is
https://iu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GfwBRfg-Tx2a9STWuZVPNg

It will also be recorded.

Abstract:

Remote monitoring and control of industrial control systems are
protected using firewalls and user passwords. Cyberattacks that get
past firewalls have unfettered access to command industrial control
systems with potential to harm digital assets, environmental
resources, and humans in proximity to the compromised system. In this
talk, I will discuss our approach to prevent and mitigate such harms
in scientific industrial control systems by enhancing the security of
open-source cyberinfrastructure: the open-source Real-Time Executive
for Multiprocessor Systems (RTEMS) real-time operating system and the
Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS) software
and networks. The RTEMS and EPICS software projects are widely used
cyberinfrastructure for controlling scientific instruments. This talk
will discuss security problems that we have explored with these
communities, and examine the salient challenges and opportunities
presented by working with open-source communities on their
cybersecurity needs.

-Gedare