change log for rtems (2011-08-29)

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Aug 31 08:02:48 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 09:48 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 09:27 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 08/31/2011 08:23 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> [...]
>>> @Sebastian: Similar considerations apply to the
>>> ARM_EABI __libc_init_array. In my understanding, CodeSourcery
>>> implemented their
>>> proprietary way to handle ctors/dtors into newlib, which now clashes
>>> with RTEMS
>>> __USE_INIT_FINI__ in GCC and RTEMS.
>>
>> The ARM EABI uses .init_array, .preinit_array, and .fini_array.
>>
> That's not my point. Section names etc. in this context are implementation
> details we can change unless these are formally specified by ABI specification
> documents.
>
> My point is CodeSourcery having added a ctors/dtors handling to newlib vs.
> RTEMS's ctors/dtors handling and us now struggling with these two mechanisms.
>
> Or differently: We should consolidate this.

Yes, we should definitely clean this up.  I used __libc_init_array() and
__libc_fini_array() only because they do exactly what we need in the ARM EABI.
  The normal RTEMS handling here would not work because it lacks the
.init_array, .preinit_array, and .fini_array support (System V ABI).

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9