Tool Hosts and Announcements was Re: BSD vs POSIX psignal

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
Fri May 20 16:22:49 UTC 2011

my .02: I got the yum updates, but then an old branch that I have been
working on broke. I faced the choice to rebase or to compile a
toolchain for that old branch. The work involved in rebasing is a lot,
especially on our CVS repo (*hint hint*), so I spun up a toolchain for
the outdated branch that I'm working on.

I was mildly surprised when the tool update broke my working branch,
yet thankfully I identified the issue quickly and did not spend much
time trying to debug. A brief announcement somewhere would be useful
for those of us who use (1) non-RPM systems, (2) closed-source
systems, or (3) RPM systems with outdated branches.

Joel's point about marketing is astute, but care should be taken not
to be too spammy either. A brief note to the users list when the yum
repo is updated with a new toolchain might be nice.