change log for rtems (2011-10-20)

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sun Oct 23 03:05:17 UTC 2011

On 10/22/2011 07:02 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Why are removing them? We have always encouraged enabling warnings.

>  Seems odd to remove any that were not causing grief.

They are causing grief.

"-Werror=..." is non-portable. It breaks building with non-gccs and with
older gccs ("-Werror=..." is not supported by older gccs).

We would have to check for "if CC is GCC" and "if, in case of GCC, CC
supports a particular variant of -Werror=..".

Appart of this, all that -Werror does is to raise warnings to errors,
i.e. it causes the compiler to error out instead of to raise a warning.
i.e. it does not add any new value,

Conversely, without -Werror building raises a warning and proceeds. This
much more helpful to track down issues, instead to error out early on
some "currently unresolvable" warning.

Ralf