Libbsd situation.

Karel Gardas karel at functional.vision
Mon Jul 17 11:12:06 UTC 2023

   Hello,

if I'm right than RTEMS 6 should be accompanied with libbsd from
6-freebsd-12 branch which should be based on freebsd-12 (stable/12
branch). Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

If I'm right above, then there are few things which worries me a bit:

(1) FreeBSD's 12 branch is going to be EoLed soon, e.g. December 31,
2023 as claimed on https://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup

(2) 6-freebsd-12 branch latest commit in freebsd-org is from Feb 9
22:15:35 2020. Based on that it looks like 6-freebsd-12 branch is >6k
commits behind the FreeBSD's stable/12 branch.

May this outage be solved by using libbsd master branch? It does not
look like as:

(i) latest commit in freebsd-org in libbsd master branch is even older
than in 6-freebsd-12 and it is from Sep 24 01:58:54 2019.

(ii) even if I consider Sebastian's own master-update branch available
on his github.com account, it seem this branch synced with what is in
6-freebsd-12 and ends exactly on 2020-02-09. So, it looks like master is
also missing few thousands patches from FreeBSD development...

Anyway, my biggest worry is that RTEMS 6 libbsd may be based on source
code which will lose upstream project support soon after the RTEMS 6
release (assuming RTEMS 6 will happen before Dec 31 2023). So I'm
curious if with all those outdatnes it would not be good to jump and
update master which would be supported by another 5 years (assuming this
is stable/14 branch).
E.g. the situation is exactly like with GCC where Sebastian clearly
warned about it and project moved from 10 to 12 and now it looks like we
will even move to GCC 13 release for RTEMS 6... Except that in case of
libbsd it has not happened yet.

Am I missing something or is this really a situation with libbsd as of
today?

Thanks!
Karel